Australia and New Zealand have been the rights to hosting the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup.
The joint bid were favorites to getting the rights since the evaluation report got published earlier this month.
The FIFA report stated the bid had a high score of 4.1 and had received a total of 22 out of 35 possible votes from the council.
The pan-Asian bid was also considered in front during the bid race because of its commercial potential.
“It would also appear to present the most favorable proposition, taking into consideration the financial commitments made by the Governments of both countries towards the operational costs of the tournament.”
The Sydney Opera House and Auckland’s Sky Tower were lit up on Thursday to celebrate the joint bid.
Australian and New Zealand players have been reacting to the announcement with Australian captain describing the news as dream come true.
“The opportunity to play in a home FIFA Women’s World Cup is something every footballer dreams of and I am looking forward to seeing those dreams come true,” she said
Japan football Association withdrew its bid due postponement of the Tokyo Olympic games.
Since losing the bid, the Colombian Football Federation released a statement thanking the Government for their support in the campaign.
According to FFA and NZF, the tournament structure will include four groups located in each country during the group stage of the tournament.
The knockout stages will be across the two host nations while the third place will be in Australia.
Finally, the competition will conclude in Sydney at Stadium Australia.
Stadium Australia was the centerpiece of the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games and is being redeveloped.
FIFA estimates more 1.5 million ticket sales which should generate $41 million in revenue.
This would be the 1st 32-team Women’s World Cup
FIFA president Gianni Infantino said the 32-nation tournament would be the “biggest boost ever for women’s football.”
France staged the last edition in 2019, when the United States lifted the trophy for the fourth time